Wait, that sounds wrong….
This morning I had a meeting with my lovely weaving study group. We have been together now almost two years I think, 9 of us. (8 women, 1 man). Every month or so we meet to discuss our current study topic, which usually involves some type of goal or project that we are to have completed. Honestly, I
think know this group is the only reason that I get any weaving done at all. We decided when we started the group that we had to commit to it, to really make sure that we were getting the most out of it, both for ourselves and for the other members of the group. It has turned out to be an amazing group, and as we sat around this morning looking at the beautiful weaving spread across the table, we realized how much we have all grown. It’s definitely a good feeling.
However this month I came dangerously close to not finishing my project for the first time in two years. So close that I just might have started yesterday morning. Not started the weaving, oh no, starting the PLANNING. Whoops. The summer just seemed to get away from me. I did have a good idea though, and I was pretty sure I could crank it out in a day.
We have been studying crackle weave, which is a type of block weave (meaning in it’s simplest sense that there are squares or rectangles of pattern within the weaving). If you follow me on Instagram you know that I was posting lots of pictures as I went along.
I am sure most people don’t want all the details on the weaving (they are at the bottom for anyone who does) so here’s what I made with it!
It’s a fold over clutch! I have been seeing these around done in cotton fabric, but I figured, why not in wool?
It simply unfolds, no snaps or anything. I was using it today and it stays folded up well on it’s own.
The corners have a little vinyl detail (I need to find a place that I can buy scrap chunks of leather) and the zipper is a heavy brass style.
Inside it is lined with a linen blend. I like the insides of my bags to be light so you can see what is in them. Especially at an evening event where it is often low light.
The fabric itself has a chevron in it, which was acheived by block placement. The pattern colour (Bluegrass) stands out while the tabby colour (Aubergine) blends with the white.
I am super pleased with the results of this project, and relieved that I got it finished in time! I think I might still try to find a little leather or vinyl pull for the zipper. I know I will use it a lot this fall – I can see using in an outfit with a shorter dark dress and my tall boots. Aaaaah, boots.
Warp: 2 yards, 161 ends + 2 floating selvedges. Jaggerspun 3/8 Maineline wool in Snow.
Weft: Harrisville Designs Highland in Bluegrass and Aubergine
Pattern: Zig-zag crackle threading woven in overshot.