Skip to content
Jan 31 / Dani

MQG Challenge – Madrona Road

Well, I am trying one more time to resurrect the blog. The Christmas season was totally crazy, in an amazing way, but it knocked the snot out of my. So here, the end of January, I am finally feeling like I am getting caught up.

Yesterday I took some time to work on and complete my Modern Quilt Guild Challenge. We were given some Madrona Road fabric by Robert Kaufman and told to go crazy! Our guild decided it should be something quilted, and that you could only use fabrics from the line and coordinating solids. I had a bunch of techniques that I had been wanting to try so I thought I would make a sampler pillow cover of sorts.

MQGChallenge 1

For the front I started with an improvised plus block. I wanted to see if they were really as simple to make as they seemed. (They are). Then I quilted that by stitching in the ditch, before adding a quilt as you go wonky log cabin large border. I made sure that I used all the fabrics in the line, some of which came from leftover stash of my own.

MQGChallenge 2

For the back, I had really wanted to try Elizabeth Hartman’s postage stamp tutorial. I cut out 81 2.5″ blocks and laid them down on a 20″x20″ piece of interfacing. Then, following the tutorial I pressed, stitched, cut open and pressed all the seams. I ended up with a 16″x16″ square of 81 2″ blocks. I really like the look, but I am not sure that I would use it for a quilt. It was fantastic for a pillow, as it is nice and sturdy, but I don’t think it would have enough drape for a quilt. It is quite possible though that I should use a lighter weight interfacing, or that it would feel better after it was washed.

I stitched in the ditch around the squares and then added another quilt as you go log cabin border in my favourite fabric in the line, the text.

For the zipper I thought I would use blue to accent the main colour in the line, and then used the solid yellow for the ends

MQGChallenge 3

One little detail that I added to the front was to use a selvedge as one of the log cabin parts. I like that it identifies the line, and it is such a cute selvedge that I didn’t want to miss out on using it somewhere.

You can see the myriad of other projects in the MQG Challenge Flickr pool. (At the time of this post my pictures were not up yet, but they were waiting for moderator approval and should be up later today) My challenge project is faaaaar from high end in this group, but it let me try out some new tricks, which is what I wanted.

Leave a comment