Skip to content
Jul 13 / Dani

Michael Miller Challenge Quilt

As part of the MQG, we have quarterly challenges whereby companies donate fabric which we are to use to create some sort of project with. This time, the fabric was from Michael Miller, one of my favourites (their fabric has a great base).

I had an idea that I wanted to make a bunting quilt, but I didn’t want to do turned or fused applique. So I came up with another idea!

MMChallenge-1

I basically made little triangle pillow forms, but didn’t stuff them (does that make sense?). I cut each bunting triangle out along with 10 white triangles. I put right sides together, stitched around the edge and left an opening, then turned them right side out. I pressed them and then I edged stitched them down in their location on the quilt. The white keeps the background fabric from showing through the bunting prints.

MMChallenge-4

I really wanted to try out some different quilting on this one. I used a wool batting, which means that the cloud quilting in the background is almost like trapunto. I didn’t quilt the clouds over the bunting – they just poof up off the quilt. Then I did some sketchy lines across the top of the bunting, so it would like a pencil line. That was the first time that I had taken the longarm off the belts and free-handed it!

MMChallenge5

The backing is one of the prints from the line, just nice and solid.

MMChallenge-2

I am really pleased with how this came out! It is really soft and fluffy, and I learned a couple of new skills. Thanks Michael Miller and the MQG for the fabrics!

MMChallenge-4

Leave a comment